Thursday, October 20, 2011

Canvas Painting Made Easy

So my brother-in-law got married this past weekend and the crazy person inside me decided that I should make them and wedding present. I painted this in the living room and its a good thing I decided to roll up the carpet because I made a BIG mess :) Here goes...

You'll need:
a Canvas
Vinyl lettering (I chose 2" high in Helvetica type)
3-4 colors of paint
A hairdryer (if you're as impatient as I am :) )

 I started by measuring the height of the vinyl letters I bought and made pencil lines across the canvas 1/2" taller than the letters. Then I lined up the top of the letters to the pencil line and started applying letters.

 So at this point is where I realize I don't have enough vinyl letters... FAIL. So back to the store I go and start over :)


All the vinyl letters are on and at this point I erased my pencil lines and started painting. 

I chose to paint this the colors of my Brother-in-law's wedding so for the background I painted the canvas silver and went over it with black. I used a wide and relatively dry brush to get the effect I wanted. (This is where the hairdryer comes in handy  because you want the dark colors completely dry before you start adding more colors in)


Next I added in some pops of color!


Once you're happy with the look of it CAREFULLY remove the vinyl letters (and touch up as needed).

BRAVO! Not nearly as difficult or time consuming as I thought it would be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment