Saturday, October 29, 2011

States Book Project

This week the little one and I are starting a new project. We are assembling a "States Book." It will be magnificent, lovely, fun, educational, and super interactive. OK, OK, OK so maybe I've got big plans for this and they may be unreasonable but I'm excited about it and the munchkin is too (and being excited about learning is a GREAT thing). Here's my vision:
  • laminated coloring pages to include
    • an outline of the state with major river and tributaries
    • a star to mark the capitol
    • the state's flag
    • FUN facts about the state (including admittance to the union, state bird, state tree, state song, and any scientific findings found in that state.
  • an outline map of the USA where each week we will place a colored in state onto the map to track our progress.
  • For dinner that week we will try to include cuisine from that state.
  • at the end of this whole project we will assemble a binder of all the states we've studied so that once school starts she can reference it!
We are going in Alphabetical order and are starting with Alabama. At one state a week this time next year we should have a completed "States Book". I would love ideas from you! If you know anything special and wonderful/ unusual about your state please leave me a comment. I'm going to be posting my printable pages as we go so get ready for ALABAMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment